Friday, January 30, 2015

Adios, Elderes

   This week was a little rough. I had to say goodbye to my district. I was in the intermediate Spanish district, but Fort Lauderdale transfers are a little later than others, apparently. So I had to watch my new best friends pack up and go to Argentina and Oregon. It was harder than I thought. Elder Keith and I both love Rice Krispie treats and if they were serving them at lunch, we would grab 2 (one for both of us). They were serving them a few days ago, and I only got one. Kinda depressing.
    The new District A is adjusting well, so that's good. I don't know the elders in District A very well, but the sisters are Hermana Dickey, Hermana Humphrey, Hermana Cones and Hermana Ashcraft.
    Oh!!! I accumulated some awesome stuff from the free bins and other sisters in our dorm building! I am now the proud owner of 6 cans of play doh, a special bubble wand (thank you Hermana Laub!), bubble wrap from various packages and 7 packs of Reeses' cups from Hermana Hansen (her sister sent her a ton).
    It has been cool in District B. They're an awesome bunch and I'm glad that I get to spend some more time with them before all they leave for Costa Rica, Panama, or California.
     It is so weird to think that I'll be in Florida in less than 4 days. I've got my travel itinerary and I'll have a layover in Atlanta, Georgia. I need to buy a phone card so that I can call my family during that time. I've met two people going to Fort Lauderdale, Spanish-speaking. They seem pretty cool, and I haven't met many people going to the same mission as me. 
    FUNNY STORY!!! -
      So Hermana Clarke got up to get a glass of water at dinner and I was bored, so I started clapping for her as she left. I turned to the zone and conspired with 6 other people. We decided that when she sat down with her glass of water, we would start applauding her. So she did, we started to clap, and then OUR ENTIRE SIDE OF THE CAFETERIA STARTED CLAPPING. Hundreds of missionaries were applauding! They had no idea that we were cheering for a sister that got a glass of water. 4 other elders came over with their trays and asked what was up. Hermana Walfield exclaimed "She got a glass of water!!!" It was the proudest moment of my life. We were in tears with laughter and Hermana Clarke was SO CONFUSED. I even earned the approving handshakes of Elder Mitchell and Elder Vorwaller. It was cool. A stupid idea that turned into something hilarious. The End.
       Ummm... what else has happened?... Oh, so I'm pretty buff now. For my last gym period, I ran two miles nonstop. I wanted to die by the end of it, but that's okay. I've been increasing my endurance, doing sit-ups, benching 180 pounds on this thigh-workout machine-thingy and I can do a hanging chin-up for 60 seconds. So I'm basically a bodybuilder now.
     Hermana Clarke, Hermana Walfield and I have decided to start initiating bending-battles with each other. Apparently we all love Avatar: The Last Airbender. Hermana Clarke is a water-bender, Hermana Walfield is an earth-bender and I'm a fire-bender. So now we start bending our elements at each other randomly. It's kinda the best thing ever. We tried to explain it to Hermano Castro and Hermano Barrett. Hermano Barrett just laughed and exclaimed that he could easily imagine us having bending battles in our dorm. Cool stuff.
      Apparently Elder Kyle Martin is doing fantastic in Chile. And got kissed by a puppy! I love getting emails from other missionaries. And letters, letters are the best! :)
      If anyone wants to write me in Florida, here is the address:
        Hermana Curnow
        7951 SW Sixth St.
        Suite 110
        Fort Lauderdale, FL
        33324-3211 
I've already started putting this return address on my envelopes (since I'll only be in the MTC for a few more days).
       My testimony of the priesthood has been strengthened so much in the time that I've been here. It's one of the reasons that leaving the MTC is going to be so bittersweet. Being stuck in a room of elders for 8 hours a day for six weeks has caused me to see how much the elders have grown in so little time. And when I've been privileged to witness them using that authority, I feel the Spirit so strongly. Not only District C, but in District B as well. So many people have asked me in my time here: "What is it like to be a solo sister?" This is the answer: Being a solo sister has been a blessing. I have learned something so very important from each of the elders in District C and they've become some of my greatest friends.
       And that is all that I have for you today. Sorry that these blog posts are so short, I can give you better answers in letters. Love you all! !La iglesia es verdadera!
          Con mucho amor,
        ~Hermana Curnow

"Let me get my vaseline, you gone slide!!!" -Hermana Walfield (describing ghetto fights)



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment