Friday, January 2, 2015

El don de lenguas

     So apparently, the LDSmail platform will only let me send 2 pictures at a time. So I won't be posting many. If you want to see some, talk to my Mom. :)

      Anyway, another busy week!
So far, my district has been taught by Hermano Barrett, Hermano Martinez, Hermano Tuft, Hermana Bond and Hermano Rios. All of them are great teachers and have different strengths.
My companions and I are doing well!
Hermana Clarke and I got sick, but we're almost healed. :)
Hermana Walfield never fails to make me laugh, and she gets along well with the super chill Polynesians here in the MTC!
I'm really starting to kick booty in gym. When you spend as much time as we do inside and studying various things, you need an outlet. I can feel myself getting stronger and I'm building endurance as I jog. 

      Hermano Martinez taught me something very profound about the gift of tongues. I expressed to him that I was frustrated that I'm not learning to conjugate verbs as quickly as I had hoped and how much better he was at speaking Spanish. He basically told me not to stress, he was in Mexico learning to speak Spanish for 2 years, and I had only been in the MTC for 2 weeks.
He showed me a scripture from Moroni, told me how all good things come from God. 
I have the gift of tongues. If I didn't I would be speaking Spanish in this moment. The gift isn't instant, and it takes work. But it is there nonetheless.
  
         My district and zone are still great, we bond and become closer with each day! PLEASE write me! I appreciate emails, but due to the limited time it is very difficult to respond properly. Thank you all for keeping in touch with me, though. <3
        
         So we had a devotional on Sunday night (12-28-2014). It was more music-oriented, and RICHARD ELLIOTT AND DAVID ARCHULETA performed!
Holy cow! I was so excited when I saw them!
Brother Archuleta spoke about some experiences about his mission, and sang for us. I don't care if you like his music albums or not, but he is VERY talented when it comes to singing hymns (in English AND Spanish).
Brother Elliott was also so kind as to take time out of his schedule to share his extraordinary talent with us! He spoke very well, and he is such a talented organist that he can play hymns exclusively with the organ pedals- no hands, only feet! The music was so beautiful! <3

I love our investigators! We taught Michaela Bond for a while, and now we are teaching Brian Solis, Oscar Villegas and Victor Guiterrez(sp?). 

District A got to be "host missionaries" last Wednesday. That means meeting the new arrivals at the curb and helping them get started on campus until their first class.
I'll never forget my host missionary, Sister Futaga. :)
It is so odd to see other missionaries around campus! It seems like months ago that we were wearing those little orange dots on our tags!
MTC time is strange. Time goes by extremely slowly and quickly simultaneously.  So much happens in one day.
Oh, the new missionaries have no idea what a ride they are in for in this heavenly place. :)

I went with District B (since I am a solo sister. I accidentally went with my district of elders to help with groceries in the cafeteria last week, haha!) to clean the Provo temple today!
Cleaning the temple is a truly special experience. I got to help clean in the Bridal Room, the third floor and the basement. 3 hours flew by so quickly, and I had such a great time!

I only have a little bit of time to sketch on P-Days, yet my sketches seem to be improving! Tender mercy? ;) *Somebody please remind me to send pics of my sketches to my home email, lol!*

I emailed Jonah, and he wanted to know some things about the MTC. I made a list, so I'll post them here as well. 

1. If one person gets sick, EVERYONE gets sick. You're never not in close proximity to other people.
2. You go in expecting to have a little bit of free time. Don't. You'll be so busy, you won't believe it.
3. There are some people that you have difficulty working with. Pray to have charity and love for them.
4. To obtain the gift of tongues, don't pray so that you can speak the language. Pray for the gift of tongues in order to efficiently teach others.
5. You need to identify the needs of investigators.
6. NEVER make assumptions about the lives of investigators, companions, etc.
7. There are going to be attractive people in the MTC. Being around cute people is fine, flirting is NOT.
8. Laundry time is the best time of the week. I would bring 10-13 pairs of garments, you use them pretty quickly. Also, bring two sets of P-Day clothes.
9. You'll get really close to the people in your district really fast.
10. The best way to learn your language is to speak it at every opportunity.
11. Don't compare yourself to the teachers. They've been speaking the language for YEARS. The gift of tongues works, but it isn't instant. Be patient.
12. Take advantage of gym time. You'll build stress and excess energy from being in a classroom for so long.
13. You'll meet people from every race, language, social class, economic class, every walk of life imaginable. Enjoy the experience that you have with them. You're not in the MTC for long.
14. Within the first week, you'll realize that serving a mission is the absolute best decision you ever made in your life. :)

Last of all, I wanted to share this. I sent this to Elder Sandall (who is still recovering from his sprained ankle, the poor guy). It was a Facebook post that was printed out and sent to me in a package by Sister Anderson (thank you!). Posted by Laura Howell's fiancee, it made me very happy. I send my regards to Laura, the Howell family and the Byers family. This touched my heart:

"As I served my mission, I went through the greatest of times and the hardest of times with people from every walk of life imaginable. I taught hookers, priests, truckers, doctors, single mothers with struggling kids, druggies, miners, Lebanese people, Born Again Christians, Catholic altar boys, satanists, and many others. I soon learned an important principle of the gospel that I already knew, but had never fully understood: I began to grasp the idea that the Plan of Salvation is big enough for all of God's children. He is mindful of each and every one of his precious people. What perhaps was the most surprising thing of all was God's direct influence in the missionary work of an enigmatic country boy in the heart of Las Vegas. I realized that God did not need me to move the work forward, but that he needed me to become an invested disciple of Him. The best way to become a disciple was through a mission. I promise you, Braxton, that a mission will prepare you to be a better disciple of Christ, prepare you to be a better man. I promise that God will increase you talents, make you better, and stretch you in a manner you never thought possible. I also promise that you will be amazed by the capacity you have to love others. The greatest miracle that you will experience over the course of your mission will be your own transformation into a man of experience, a man of worth, a man of God."   -Sean Byers, Facebook, 12/16/14

Juan 16:33
DyC 9:7-8

El Evangelio es verdadero. Yo se este con todo de mi corazón.

Con amor,
Hermana Curnow

"Debajo de la ropa, encontramos el hombre. Y debajo del hombre, encontramos... su... núcleo." -Nacho Libre (we quote it all the time here. I miss you, Brooke <3 )

No comments:

Post a Comment